Type: Pellet & BB air pistol.
Model: Smith & Wesson M&P 45.
Materials: Plastic (polymer) and metal construction.
Weight: 1.35 pounds.
Barrel: 3.3 inches, metal rifled.
Propulsion: CO2 x 1.
Action: Semi auto, single and double action.
Ammunition Type: .177 caliber Pellets and 4.5mm BB's.
Ammunition Capacity: 8 shot rotary magazine.
Trigger Pull: The trigger pull on the Umarex Smith & Wesson M&P 45 is better then with the Umarex PPQ and not only because you also get a single action trigger with the S&W M&P 45 but the double action trigger is also smother with less force required. Shooting this gun pre-cocked in single action mode is great for when you want to zone in on a target but you can always shoot double action when it's time to just blast!
Accuracy: I shot this air pistol at a target from 20 feet away in a free standing position, and it performed well getting a decent 2 inch grouping with both the pellets and the BB's very close to the center of the target. I found it performed equally as well in both single and double action. As I shot this gun I seemed to get more focussed and I ended up getting tighter groupings with it. The sights can be adjusted for windage if your aim is off to one side or the other. My Chrony Chronograph testing using 6.9 grain lead pellets and standard weight BB's averaged about the same in the 330-340 fps.
Build Quality: This is an almost all external polymer air gun with a good deal of metal components on the inside giving the S&W M&P 45 a decent overall weight and heft. I actually felt the stated weight seemed a bit low, it would be interesting to put this one on a scale and find out for sure? Some of the external metal parts worth noting are the safety switch, slide release, and trigger. The fit and finish is very good on the PPQ and the plastic is the good stuff just like the similarly made Umarex PPQ.
Realism: The Umarex S&W M&P 45 is a licensed replica of the actual Smith & Wesson M&P 45 semi auto pistol. It is a very close looking copy with the exception of the missing extractor pin and right side slide release. There is a lot of attention to detail that helps make this gun very believable like the large diameter barrel opening and Smith and Wesson markings throughout the airgun!
Provided by: UmarexUSA.
- Very reasonable price for a well made full featured airgun.
- Excellent reproduction of the real S&W M&P 45 semi auto pistol.
- Shoots both pellets and BB's.
- Rifled barrel.
- Easy to use yellow dot sights adjustable for windage.
- Slide catch and safety are realistic and functional.
- Single and double action trigger.
- Well designed CO2 access both hides the CO2 and makes it easy to install.
- Good combination of power, accuracy and CO2 efficiency - I got 10 good magazines
- Even though there is a lot of plastic on the outside, there is a lot of metal on the inside giving this airgun some good weight and heft.
- The plastic exterior may put off some customers looking for metal guns.
- Missing extractor pin takes a bit away form the realism.
- Could have just a bit more power - would be worth getting less shots per CO2.
The Umarex Smith & Wesson M&P 45 Pellet and BB CO2 air pistol really impressed me. I was already fairly impressed with the Umarex PPQ and how far a little bit of money went with that very similarly designed Umarex model. But I have to say for me the S&W M&P 45 has the clear advantage mainly because of the addition of the single action trigger. The Umarex S&W M&P 45 really has a lot going for it: Great entry level price point, it shoots both Pellets or BB's, it has a rifled barrel, an adjustable rear sight, good accuracy with decent power and CO2 efficient and great looks. As with the Umarex PPQ, these qualities make it very easy to overlook the mostly plastic exterior!
My YouTube Video Review for this versatile Smith & Wesson Pellet and BB CO2 Pistol: