Type: Pellet air pistol.
Model: Walther CP88 Competition Matte Black.
Materials: Mostly metal construction.
Weight: 2.56 pounds.
Barrel: 5.5 inches, metal rifled.
Propulsion: CO2 x 1.
Action: Semi auto, single and double action.
Ammunition Type: .177 caliber pellets.
Ammunition Capacity: 8 rotary magazine.
Trigger Pull: The trigger pull on the Umarex Walther CP88 Competition is extremely nice in both single and double action mode with the single action having the lightest and shortest pull, making it really easy to shoot on target with accuracy.
Accuracy: Previously using my Standard CP88 (non-competition version), I shot this air gun at a target from 20 feet away in a free standing position, and it performed very well getting about a two inch grouping close to the center of the target and staying in the two inch sweet spot even with 3 magazines or 24 rounds shot, I shot just a little bit high and to the right. The good news is the sights can be adjusted for windage if you are shooting a tad bit to the left or right. My Chrony testing with an eight shot averaged result was 360 fps using 6.9 grain RWS pellets. I will be conducting a new Field Test Shooting review using my CP88 Competition version versus the shorter barreled version to see how they both perform in the exact same test environment.
Build Quality: This is an almost all metal air gun with great fit and finish and a nice dense 2.56 pound weight to it. It's made in Germany, so you know it's made right? The only plastic parts to speak of are the grips which are a hard matte black plastic which matches the rest of the airgun nicely. All the mechanical parts operation are as smooth as butter.
Realism: The Umarex Walther CP88 Competition is a licensed replica of the real Walther P88 semi auto pistol. It looks very close to the real steel with the exception of the break in the slide where the rotary magazine is accessible and the extra "C" in the name.
Purchased From: The Replica Airguns Store.
- All metal construction - Very good weight and solid feeling gun.
- German made!
- Fully Walther Licensed.
- Comes in a nice hard-shell case.
- Very nice looking gun with the Matte black finish.
- Adjustable rear sight for windage.
- Both Double and Single action trigger pulls are very smooth and light.
- Ambidextrous safety just like the real steel version.
- Should have equally good accuracy to the standard CP88, and perhaps a bit more FPS with the longer barrel.
- More expensive than many entry level guns but much higher quality.
- Sights may be a bit hard to see on certain dark backgrounds since there are no white dots.
- White warning engraving on the right side of the gun is a bit loud on the black color.
- May be too heavy for some shooters?
I have to say I pretty much like mostly everything about this airgun. Its size, its looks, it's German build and quality and the way it shoots. The Umarex Walther CP88 Competition air pistol is one of those airguns I think everyone should save up for just to have the pleasure to own and shoot. It may not have blowback or a full size drop out magazine like some of the other newer styled flashier air pistols but I can tell you it is a real joy to shoot. When you hold it in your hand and point it at the target, all you can think about is how much fun you are having with this quality air gun that is sure to give you many years of enjoyment!
My YouTube Video Review for this quality German made Pellet Air Pistol: